New Directions web banner
Hospitality, Catering and Tourism
Coast & Country’s Employability Services support local employers across sectors and provide entry level pre-employment training to local jobseekers.
One of the sectors we have decided to have a strong offer with is Hospitality & Catering, we have engaged with over 40 employers to design a pre-employment training package which promotes the industry, that they feel confident recruiting directly from, and covers the following:
- What does hospitality mean? – The culture of the industry and why delivering customer experiences which meet and exceed their expectations is so important to hospitality businesses
- Appreciate the importance of hospitality behaviours such as personal conduct, being adaptable, using initiative and communicating with a diverse range of people, professionalism
- Know the range of businesses and establishments that make up the industry, their differences/similarities and the variety of job roles and progression opportunities that are available
- Legislation and working practices within the industry – standard operating procedures, core standards, Food Safety in Catering Level 2, food allergens/intolerances, silver service dining, dietary requirements, planning and delivering afternoon tea for 20-50 covers
- Have an appreciation of where you might fit in the industry, research current Tees Valley opportunities, and prepare your CV with cover letter to reflect this
- On the last day the students serve an afternoon tea for 20-50 covers in our marquee, called the talent tea to invited guests which include employers, apprenticeship providers, family and friends, feedback from employers seeing their next employee in action has been fantastic and often replaces an interview. If you would like to join us at the next talent tea and see new team members in action contact us on 01642 771300.
We plan to add on to this offer with bar tending/cocktail making, barista training and encouraging local people into careers.
We are working hard to show that the Tees Valley has a lot to offer in this sector and the opportunities it can provide to local jobseekers.
Take a look at our video where employers we work with open their doors to provide an insight to potential learners as to what the industry can offer.