Be gas safe
To keep your heating system in tip top shape and you and your home safe, we need to carry out a gas appliance service each year. As a landlord we are required by law to make sure that:
- Pipes, appliances and flues are kept in a safe condition.
- All appliances and flues we provide get annual safety checks by Gas Safe registered engineers.
- All gas equipment (including appliances left by a previous tenant) is safe or removed before homes are re-let.
- We give you a record of each safety check within 28 days of completing it, or before you move in if you are a new tenant
It’s your responsibility to allow our fully qualified, Gas Safe registered engineers into your home to carry out this service. A gas service will take no longer than an hour and a half, but it could save you money by making your appliances run more efficiently.
It could also save your life because badly installed or poorly maintained gas appliances kill. As well as deadly carbon monoxide poisoning, faulty appliances can lead to gas leaks and explosions. Gas leaks can also make your home insurance invalid. Another good reason to allow us access to service your appliances.
If you smell gas:
- Phone National Gas Emergency Services free on 0800 111 999 - they will deal with any report of a gas escape free of charge.
- Contact Coast & Country on 01642 771300.
- If possible, turn off the gas supply at the meter (unless the meter is located in a cellar or basement, in which case do not enter).
- Do not turn the gas back on until the escape has been repaired.
- Turn off gas appliances. Do not use them again until a gas engineer says it’s safe.
- Open all windows and doors for ventilation.
- Do not use any electrical appliances or flick any switches.
- Extinguish all naked flames.
- Do not smoke.
For more information take a look at our Gas Safety leaflet [pdf] 400KB.
Why not watch this great video produced by Gas Safety Register and see if you can spot the silent killer?
Click here to view our Gas safety FAQs[pdf] 104KB.