Gas and electricity
Take a look at uSwitch to help you save money on your bills or why not give them a call on 0808 2525398.
Calls should take less than ten minutes and could save you £££s every year.
Watch out! If you are in debt of £200 or more you may have to pay this off before you can switch supplier, but you may be able to get a grant to help you with this debt. You may be tied into a contract, so check before you switch.
You can get a grant with some suppliers to help you pay off your gas and electricity debt.
Here are some useful websites:
Warm home discount
It is possible to receive £140 discount off your electricity bill if you get guaranteed pension credit and your supplier is part of the warm home discount scheme. You do not have to do anything as this should be paid automatically into your electricity account. Also, if you are on a low income, disabled, have a long-term illness or have children, you can ring your supplier to find out if you can get this discount.
Winter fuel payments
If you have reached the qualifying age for pension credit you will get a one off winter fuel payment between £100 and £300. It should be paid automatically, but if you have any problems just give us a call.
Ways to use less gas and electricity
There are many other ways in which you can pay less for your gas and electricity by using less. Here are just some of the ways to save you money:
- Turn lights off when not in use.
- Don’t leave your TV or other electrical items on standby.
- Put lids on pans when cooking and only fill your kettle with the water you need.
- Wash your clothes on 40 degrees Celsius instead of 60 and wait until you have a full load or wash on a quick wash.
- Unplug your mobile phone charger when not in use.
- Use energy saving lightbulbs – we can give you some!
- Make sure your fridge and freezer are not turned up too high.
- Keep warm and keep well at winter - Public Health England have produced a Keep Warm Keep Well leaflet aimed to help you maintain good health during winter and take advantage of the financial help and benefits available.
If you would like more information or advice on ways to save gas and electricity just give our Energy Officer a call on 01642 836063 or email email@example.com.